Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury | Spoiler free review


I am the perfect weapon.  
I kill with a single touch. 
Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favor of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch. 
Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girl she truly is. 
Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told...
Rating: 3/5
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Romance

High fantasy novels have a consistent history of presenting unique, compelling worlds and solid, inspiring characters. In my opinion, it's what makes the genre so awesome and one of my favorites. So, I would love to say The Sin Eater's Daughter fulfilled all of those expectations since I had heard such good things, but I was personally disappointed. The Sin Eater's Daughter was an interesting read with its world building and language but unfortunately a lot of other aspects lacked the same quality.

Getting through this book, in all honestly, was a bit difficult. The beginning was intriguing because of all that had to be introduced about the world, but after that it was a whole lot of build-up and not enough results. The pacing was slow enough that I lost interest, and I wanted more development in multiple ways. And after reading through it, I have a couple scenes in mind where I honestly have no idea what they were trying to support plot, character, or theme-wise.

The characters are what gave me the most trouble. I don't want to give a lot away, but I'll just say I was disappointed in character development. Twylla is a product of her peers, and I struggled to find her true personality. Nothing seemed to set her apart. And if you look at the genres you'll see there's romance, but I'll keep it brief by saying I didn't believe it. It was all kinds of awkward and I wanted to skip some scenes because they were very drawn out. Usually I'm all for the fluff, but there was something off about the relationship presented in the novel.

I will say that The Sin Eater's Daughter is well-done in its setting and history. It all comes together nicely, and past events connect well to present ones. The last third of the book was also exciting and enlighteningthe best section of the whole novel. I also thought Salisbury did a good job with her themes, especially when presenting them through a certain character that I choose not to name, but they were honestly the most fascinating to read.

While I lost interest in this story, it has still gathered a steady following, so I would recommend this to anyone interested in a high fantasy novel with solid world building and fairy tale-esque twists. It is also the first in a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment